Saturday, June 18, 2011

My best round ever?

I believe it was the summer of 76.  Bi-centennial on everyone's mind.  A hot, humid summer at the Elks/Hillsview Country Club in Pierre, SD.  Curt Byrum, Scott Hofer and myself had pretty much finished the day of golf.  We decide to play 1, 2, 3 and nine before we drive the 28 miles back to Onida.  For some reason I made the comment...   well, if I am three under after three holes, we are gonna play the whole front nine.  We tee off and I hit my drive into the fairway grass bunker.  180 yards out, I almost sink a five iron, leaving it a foot from the cup.  Number two is an easy par five, and I am 20 yards out in two.  A chip and a putt, and birdie number two?  I blade my wedge, and leave myself a 60 foot plus foot for birdie, and the drop is at least three feet.  You could sit there all day long, and never make this putt.  I made it.  Geesh!  Two under after two.  Number three is the number one handicap hole on the course, a long par four.  I hit a drive into the rough, and have a three iron to the green.  I knock it twelve feet away, and bam, birdie number three.  We played the rest of the front nine, and on number nine, a short par four, I am twenty yards out after my drive.  I chilly dip my chip ten yards.  My next chip rests three feet from the hole.  And it breaks about eighteen inches.  I nervously make the putt for a par.  A 32, as number six, normally a par four has flooding, and is playing as a par 3.  Possibly my best round ever, and certainly one to remember! 

No comments:

Post a Comment