Saturday, June 18, 2011

Beating the club pro...

The year was 1975 and i just turned 16. I was hanging around the pro shop, talking with the head pro Rick Anthes. Nearby listening in was Bill Palmer. Bill was good old boy (millionaire, businessman, humanitarian, comedian, great friend and in his early sixties). Rick was telling me that I could not hit the ball 250 off the tee. I disagreed. After further conversation, I said that I could probably beat Rick, and the club pro laughed at me. After further conversation, he said let's play 100 dollar nassaus (front, back, 18). I said I did not have that much on me, when Bill chimed in and said, go ahead David - if you win, you keep the money, if you lose I will cover the bet. Rick, beginning to feel confident, or stupid or whatever said he would give me three shots a side. I said 'OK'. I had a five handicap at the time. Four hours later I had three hundred dollars in my pocket, as I shot even par, and beat him straight up - without the 3 shots per side. Along the way I kept asking Rick to press, so I could win five or six hundred, as I knew I had him, but he humbly declined. Titleist golf ball $1.25. Leather Ben Hogan golf glove $6.50. Taking the club pro for three bills - priceless!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment